Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Berry Picking

The u-pick raspberries were ready when I got back, so spent a sunny afternoon picking last week. Harvey made an amazing chocolate raspberry tart for my birthday; I'll ask if he'll post the recipe.

Much to my surprise, the wild blueberries are also ripe - it seems quite early for them - and a bountiful crop. I've been enjoying picking those, and eating them in muffins, pancakes and on their own, with some going into the freezer.

I also harvested the crop (about half a cup each!) from the currant and gooseberry shrubs I planted late last fall. Wasn't really expecting any fruit from them this year.

We're also trying to keep up with our weekly vegetable deliveries, which last week included green and yellow beans, 2 kinds of peas, carrots, beets, new potatoes and salad greens. Anybody have a good recipe for bean salad - the one I made isn't as good as some I've tasted.

Wendy

No comments: