Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Hosting a Visitor

My sister Diane arrived Sunday night from Ontario for a visit. Harvey is enjoying the practice of having someone to cook for whose tastes are less limited than mine currently. Yesterday we got a lovely piece of salmon which Harvey served with an interesting sauce, fiddleheads and roast potatoes, with a blueberry/blackberry cobbler for dessert. Our freezer is still quite well stocked with fruit thanks to my picking last summer.

On Monday Diane went with me to the Look Good, Feel Better seminar put on through the Cancer Society for women going through treatment. There were about 10 participants with 5 volunteers helping with the presentation. The main focus is on makeup; we went through the whole process from cleanser to lip gloss, each receiving a large package of products supplied by the Canadian cosmetic manufacturers association. A new experience for me, but it was done with quite a light touch so didn't look bad. It was particularly nice to have eyebrows again, since mine have largely disappeared; that's something I'll likely continue to do. Also a bit about wigs, hats and scarves. The whole thing was nicely done and I understand why people recommended it.

My white blood cell count wasn't high enough to go ahead with chemotherapy this week. My doctor has decided that I need to get blood checked twice a week rather than once, so I go back for that tomorrow. Hopefully we will be able to go ahead with treatment next week.

Wendy

No comments: