Saturday, March 22, 2008

From 5A South, room 13 Saint John Regional Hospital

I'm feeling a little better today (Saturday), sitting up in bed, taking the occasional sip of water, ginger ale, or grapefruit juice. I've managed a couple of short walks around the ward holding onto Harvey's arm while Joyce pushed the IV stand and pump beside me. This morning at rounds the on-call doctor said they would be cutting back on the IVs which sounds like a good thing. I still sound like Darth Vader's mom when I talk- a particularly nice effect on the telephone. It's getting easier to swallow liquids, but food is still a problem. I can get down small amounts of things like Cream of Wheat, yoghurt or jello. In addition to the regular menu tray (the choices don't usually include anything much useful for me) there is a small kitchen with some food items and a place patients can keep thier own food. I have some full fat yoghurt and some jello that Harvey made with orange juice and a small container of Grapefruit juice.

Harvey and Joyce were headed to the City Market this morning to pick up ingredients. Having Joyce to cook for gave Harvey the excuse to try the Globe and Mail recipe for 4 cheese macaroni with lobster. Now that's comfort food with flair. I hope to try it someday.

It's great having Joyce here for a visit. Being in Helath care herself, she looks at how I'm being treated with fresh eyes, which is useful. She's taken Comet for a couple of walks, which he's been a bit short of lately, so she has made a friend for life.

I've managed to read the Globe and Mail and the Telegraph Journal to keep up with the news as well as some books. I've started "Before Green Gables" by Budge Wilson, which has just been published, and it is quite good. Since I can't eat chocolate, Harvey bought the book as a Valentine's Day gift.

It's difficult having visitors. I'm isolated here, in a private room, to keep infections and potential infections away. My temperature is not stable and they are very concerned with fevers in my immunc-comprimised condition. I can't talk much and cough a lot. I'm not even permitted flowers. They're big on hand sanitizing upon entering and leaving my room. This is the longest I've been in a hospital since I was born and I am not eager to repeat any time soon.

Harvey has been bringing me news of your emails and telephone calls and I'm grateful for your good wishes and support.

Wendy
(typed by Harvey)

No comments: