Saturday, May 9, 2009

Another Bend in the Road

When I went back to see the surgeon this week I was expecting to be scheduled for surgery for the local recurrence he'd biopsied. However, Monday was my regular three month follow-up appointment with my oncologist. Everything seemed ok, but she sent me for a chest xray, as this is something she's been monitoring.

Two days later I got a call to go back to see her. The xray showed that there's cancer in my lungs; as she says "that's another level of seriousness". I don't have shortness of breath, which is the typical symptom, but a dry cough which has persisted since the cold went away a few weeks ago. (I attribute no shortness of breath to all the breath work we do in yoga.)

Anyway, I will be starting a different type of chemotherapy on Monday; yesterday got a pic line put in my arm again so it can be given that way. This chemo is every 3 weeks; after 2 or 3 rounds she will know if it is working and if it is, a total of 6 or 8. Have been reading about possible side effects - what seems most definite is that I will lose my hair again in a couple of weeks. Thought briefly about a wig this time, just for something different, but then remembered the people I've talked to who found them hot and itchy and ended up not wearing them as much as they expected.

I've also seen the radiation oncologist and surgeon this week - they won't treat the local recurrence in the breast area until after the chemo is done. As the surgeon pointed out, it does provide a very visible way to assess if the chemo is working.

Continuing to continue!

Wendy

No comments: