Sunday, January 27, 2008

Submission to New Brunswick Select Committee on Wellness

Submission to the Select Committee on Wellness

Dear Committee Members

I was pleased to learn of the opportunity to provide input to you on this important topice. My concern is with primary health care and its inaccessibility to thousands of New Brunswickers.
I am a new New Brunswicker, who moved to this province almost 3 ½ years ago, for a professional opportunity, without any previous ties to New Brunswick.
As I settled in Saint John, I discovered that there was a number to call to find a family doctor. I did so, and was advised that I would likely get a call about doctors accepting new patients in a few months. Since then, I call periodically to ensure that my name is still on the list. As a healthy person, who has not had the need to visit my doctor frequently, this was only a minor concern.
My experience when I have needed a physician is that walk-in clinics, as they operate here, do not provide an acceptable alternative, primarily due to the lack of continuity of care. Although we know it is inappropriate, many who like me are without a family doctor have no alternative but the Emergency Department when a health issue arises.
This was true in my case, when I recently identified a problem and went to Urgent Care at St Joseph’s in order to see a doctor and get a mammogram. When the mammogram revealed a significant problem, the system responded quickly and professionally, to ensure that the best treatment available was provided – including finding a family doctor for me.
I read about, and support, plans to grow our province’s population, through immigration from other countries and other parts of Canada. Yet I wonder how our province , in good conscience, can invite newcomers to join us when we already lack the ability to provide primary health care for thousands of New Brunswickers. This is an urgent wellness issue that must be addressed in order to eliminate New Brunswick’s two tier health system, for those with and without family doctors.

Sincerely


Wendy Martindale

1 comment:

Jud said...

IF MY BODY WERE A CAR...

If my body were a car, this is the time I would be thinking about trading it in for a newer model. I've got bumps and dents and scratches in my finish and my paint job is getting a little dull...But that's not the worst of it.

My headlights are out of focus and it's especially hard to see things up close

My traction is not as graceful as it once was. I slip and slide and skid and bump into things even in the best of weather.

My whitewalls are stained with varicose veins.

It takes me hours to reach my maximum speed. My fuel rate burns inefficiently.

But here's the worst of it --

Almost every time I sneeze, cough or sputter.....either my radiator leaks or my exhaust backfires!
AUTHOR UNKNOWN (it's almost a poem! maybe free form)
But laughter IS the best medicine... tell that to your committee on wellness.

I'm still trying to fly out to Ottawa... not looking particularly good... this latest is thru Halifax, the next thru Toronto... next will be thru Calgary I suppose!