Friday, January 25, 2008

Movie Recommendations

Was delighted to see Hal Holbrook's best supporting actor nomination for Into the Wild. This film didn't seem to get a wide release - I happened to see it in Ottawa but it never played here in Saint John. It's based on the book of the same title by Jon Krakauer, about a young man who goes as far "into the wild" as he can in Alaska, and doesn't return.

The movie focusses much more, through flashbacks interspersed with his trip into Alaska, on the people he meets on the journey, and Hal Holbrook plays one of them. It's definitely worth checking out.

Also reminded me of the one person show Holbrook did as Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens, which I saw on tv MANY years ago. Wonder if it was ever released on video/dvd?

Yesterday as I was leaving the bank I found a penny (at the bank! I figure this is one lucky penny and of course picked it up). That brought to mind the film Seducing Doctor Lewis, where one of the methods the people on a remote little island employ to try to keep a doctor is to plant money where the doctor will find it, because "everyone likes to find money". It starts with a penny and progresses from there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy.
Jimm Simon forwarded the link to your blog to me and I'm glad that he did. I was sorry to hear about your illness and I'm sending as many well wishes to you as I can via cyberspace. Afterall we Wendy's have to stick together! I thought it was good karma that your case worker's name was Wendy...
I'll check up on you from time to time and I hope that you know that all of your museum buddies across the country wish you well. Take care and eat all that good stuff that Harvey makes for you!
Wendy from Winnipeg.....