Saturday, January 26, 2008

Chemotherapy Round One

Those of you who have been personally effected by cancer (or who work in health care) already know how this works, but others, like me until now, may not.

Initial treatment planned is 6 rounds of chemotherapy; each of these is a 28 day cycle. On days 1 and 8, I go to the hospital for chemotherapy (given through a pic line, rather than poking at my veins every time), each day a different drug. The day 1 drug takes longer and there were a couple of not good days afterward; the day 8 drug didn't have the same impact. From days 1 to 14 I take another chemotherapy drug by tablet, then 2 weeks for immune system to recover before we start again. Also go to the hospital weekly so that they can take blood.

In terms of side effect, the reaction is very individual, and I'm fortunate to be going into this without other health challenges. So far the anti-nausea drugs have been effective for me. I was told that in 2 weeks my hair would start to fall out, which is precisely what happened. (That story and photos coming in another post.) And I get tired more easily, have adjusted my bedtime and a number of people seem to be monitoring that I don't overdo at work.

The cancer care here has been speedy, caring and professional. Unfortunately, primary health care, in Saint John like many other parts of Canada, is inaccessible to many because of the shortage of family physicians. I've been on a waiting list for almost 3 years, until the day of the diagnosis, when my case worker found a family doctor for me. At least this problem seems to be getting public attention, but it will take time to solve.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Doesn't sound like much fun. Look on the bright side; you'll save money on shampoo.

Keep fighting; we're pulling for you.

D&L in AB