Thursday, January 24, 2008

New Year's Resolution

Inspired by my friend Suzanne, who reads poetry on her morning bus ride, and Harvey, who writes a haiku every day, my New Year's resolution was to read more poetry. This should be an easy one, given that I normally read...none.

So I have been discovering poets, as I sit in hospital waiting rooms, where it's hard to get into a novel and the magazines may not be to your taste. (What's the story of how an issue of The Parliamentarian got here?)

This poem is from a sequence called Bone Poems, in Night Field by Don McKay, which received the Governor General's Award for poetry.

Now we know the price of x-ray:
if you want to see your bones you have to
flirt with death a little. Moon-bathe,
Anticipate their liberation from your flesh.

Once upon a time
shoe stores had peepshows that could
melt your skin and show the bones
inside your feet (plenty of room for him to grow there,
ma'am). You looked down zillions, back
into an ocean where a loose
family of fish was
wriggling in blue spooky light.

There are other worlds.
Your dead dog swims in the earth.

1 comment:

Jud said...

It's winter in ol’ NB
And the gentle breezes blow,
70 miles per hour
at 25 below!

Oh, I love ol’ NB
When the snow's up the butt.
You take a breath of winter air
Your nose is frozen shut.

Yes, the weather here
is wonderful,
I guess I'll hang around.
I couldn’t leave the province,
'Cause I'm frozen to the ground.

I wrote this big long saga and they dumped it off in cybre space... I guess I missed the right path from the start... some of the things I'm saying to myself don't necessarily go with God speed, but I do mean that in the nicest way!
I didn't pen the above, but it carries my present mood.
Jud