Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Chemotherapy Update

Spent a good chunk of yesterday at the Fortress of Healing, otherwise known as Saint John Regional Hospital. Had the usual wait before seeing my oncologist, who advises that we'll do 6 rounds of chemo and then she'll order scans again to check the response.

This was followed by chemo #4, which takes several hours while I sit in a comfy chair reading a book. Yesterday's was The House on Fortune Street by Margot Livesey, which I recommend (also recommend her Banishing Verona, which led me to this one.)

Part of this treatment is a steroid taken by pill on a cycle the day before and several days after chemo. The after is 12, 24, 36 and 48 hours, which means setting the alarm to wake up at some odd hour for 2 nights, and having a snack because the medication has to be taken with food. Fortunately I don't think 2 days is long enough to make this into a habit!

These treatments seem to have gone quickly with #4 already. It helps that the symptoms haven't been as severe as the first round - just have to remind myself that doesn't necessarily mean it's not working as well.

Wendy

No comments: