Friday, February 1, 2008

Irwin Barker Interview on Sounds Like Canada

On January 30, Shelagh Rogers did a great interview with Irwin Barker, a stand-up comic and comedy writer who has terminal cancer.

In dealing with this he decided that he was not going to let it make him bitter and angry. He talks about how he has incorporated it into his comedy, as a way he could use his gift to perhaps help others. He says that he is telling jokes in spite of cancer, not because of it, noting that you don't wan't to make the audience feel sorry for you, and that "you can make some fun of it, but it's not fun."

At one point in the interview, Barker says "I'm not cured, but I've got a victory over it. Cancer has my body, but it doesn't have me."

If you're interested in hearing the whole interview, go to the Sounds Like Canada website, January 30 program.

2 comments:

Terri said...

Hi Wendy, great to have the full info about the Irwin interview. I heard a promo for it but was unable to hear it live. Your blog is wonderful - thanks for the opportunity to walk with you on your journey. Terri

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy
I'm off to Ottawa for CHIN
Will be thinking good thoughts of you while I'm away and catch up with your latest antics when I return.
The Pres