Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Good News, Not So Good News

Met with my oncologist yesterday; she thinks that the chemotherapy is doing what it is supposed to, so we continue.

As a result of pain I've been experiencing across my shoulder blades, an extra bone scan was done in that area and then an MRI. The findings are that there is some growth of breast cancer cells at the base of my neck (cervical 7, thoracic 1& 2), which is causing the pain. The plan is to do radiation treatments now on this area. I'm wearing a cervical collar to restrict sudden movements in the neck area - and when I asked the radiation oncologist about doing yoga, he said no. (In fact, it was a that point he decided that I should have the collar!) We're awaiting confirmation of the start date for radiation, which the oncologist and radiation oncologist are working out.

As someone who has been practicing yoga for fifteen years or so, it is quite odd not to be doing this. However, I have been perusing my books and found a few poses that don't involve the neck - including, of course, relaxation pose, savasana, that we all look forward to at the end of every class!

1 comment:

Terri said...

awwww, Wendy, darnit all about the yoga. Hopefully you can find some creative ways to work around it....at least when you get back to it you'll be a super keen yoga-ite!