Saturday, May 15, 2010

More lemons, more lemonade

Those side effects I talked about in my previous entry morphed rather suddenly into dizziness and headaches this past week or ten days. A rather dramatic crumple to the floor at work on Thursday, accompanied by losing consciousness briefly, led to a meeting with some paramedics from the ambulance service after concerned staff had phoned 911. When I explained my condition and that I had a scheduled CAT scan, they let me get to the car by wheelchair (they wanted to put me on the gurney). My thanks to the museum staff for their ‘heads up’ actions after my collapse.

Back home, I contacted the Chemo room. They seemed concerned that my CAT scan wasn’t scheduled until Monday and after a flurry of phone calls we got an appointment for Friday morning. Since it was evident that I needed a wheelchair to get around, we corralled our friend Jack to drive us to the Fortress of Healing. For all that we were wedged into the appointment queue for a CAT scan, we were home shortly after lunch. CAT scans only take ten minutes.

Later Friday afternoon Dr. B called with news that the scan showed some spots on the back part of the brain which affects balance. Our hopes that this was just another side effect or an inner ear infection were put aside. She pointed out that this was “another level of seriousness”. They start radiation therapy next week and I’m making arrangements to work from home for now. I’m taking a medication for the dizziness.

Fortunately, most of the house, except for Harvey’s office, is on one floor. We’ve rented a wheelchair that I’m slowly learning to maneuver around the house. I can get from the bedroom to the living room and dining room and my office quite handily. Harvey bought some cordless phones today so I’ll be able to contact him when he’s busy in his office (where the computer is located) or I can wander around with a phone in my hand.

Wendy

2 comments:

Unknown said...

your lemonade approach is amazing, and teaches me daily to 'bark less, wag more', whine less, and wine more.
just back from CMA in St.john's nfld, good to network, saw the rooms, had 2 fabulous lobster dinners, bought some cloudberry and partridge berry jam, and didn't get screeched. just screechingly cold and windy and snow on day i left.

Dale Smith said...

Hi Wendy,

I dropped in to the Markindale Estate and was graciously received by Joyce. We had a short but fun visit. We reminisced on the great times we had when you girls were little, young squirts. Joyce and I remembered many of Herb's sayings. One was "Come on men - let's get it done".
It was so upsetting to hear of your gigantic, long struggle with illness. Many of the Old Grand River Guard are upset to hear of your suffering. When suffering through tough times,remembering the good times becomes so important.
I remember the three young Martindale sisters organizing the cutting and decorating of the Christmas Tree - with great success! You were so excited helping your Mom with the decorating and house work.
Your Mom and Dad always spoke of your successes and were very proud of your accomplishments. I will always miss the conversations with your Dad while having a good laugh. Great memories!
In closing I am and will be thinking of you and the Martindale family each day. I will be keeping in touch with Joyce and hope you will find this short note supportive.

Fondly,
Dale Smith.