Thursday, March 18, 2010

Caregiver

What a loaded word – caregiver. It has an infinite possibility of definitions, actions, and sometimes inactions. (There are times when the best action is to do nothing.) Aside from harping about drinking enough water, driving hither and yon, and suggestions about taking things a bit easier, my care giving is mostly about trying to find food choices that Wendy can eat. That is particularly frustrating for someone who has absolutely no interest in eating and whose favourite foods no longer taste ‘right’: and for someone who loves to prepare food. I’ve been making lots of soup from my own stock to ensure low sodium content and encourage liquid intake.

To get around our frustration, Wendy has deemed playing UPWORDS (a game similar to Scrabble but you can build the words up as well) one of my care giving duties. Wendy is very good at this game and customarily trounces me. I suspect the endorphins released as the result of winning makes her feel better for a while. Of course, if I let her win she would suspect my deception and be angry or disappointed with me, so when we sit down to play after dinner, the competitive urge rises and cutthroat Upwords ensues.

I’ve gotten somewhat better at this stupid game and can even see some strategic moves if I’m lucky enough to get the right tiles. My win rate is still half of Wendy’s, but it is an addictive and compelling game that fills an hour or so with brain-challenging activities. Studies indicate that such mental exercises help prevent Alzheimer’s.

Plan for the future, but write in pencil.

Harvey

PS Harvey has been on a winning streak and the number of games each of us has won is currently very close!
W

PPS: She’s just won two in a row on last minute scores of over thirty points.
H.

No comments: