Sunday, August 23, 2009

Auction Action

My enjoyment of auctions stems back to the days of attending Saturday night auction in Jarvis with my father. Initially my mother may have encouraged this, thinking I might have a moderating influence on his purchasing, though I don't recall that was the reality.

Yesterday I spent part of my day at Kevin Bond's auction at the Seniors Centre in Hampton. Several estates were sold, with some good quality furniture at very reasonable prices.
My purchases:
* a little armchair that, as Kevin noted, looks like something Doris Day might have sat in
* a mink cape which closes with a giant fur covered button
* a fox stole complete with head in back and paws in front, with an A. J. McIntyre Furs, St. John, NB label
* a maple rocker/glider with glider footstool, made by L & L Woodworkers Ltd. in Shediac Bridge, NB, perfect for our knotty pine panelled rec room.
And all for under $30, including lunch at the concession operated by the Seniors.

When it was time to leave, several auction going gentlemen assisted in getting my purchases into my car. One decided that the rocker wouldn't fit without being deconstructed, but another shared my conviction that it could be done. We were eventually able to fit it into the trunk, protected with Comet's blanket from the back seat and secured with my collection of bungy cords, for a safe journey back to Saint John.

Wendy

No comments: