Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Post-Surgery Update

Last week had my follow-up appointment with the surgeon. Healing is progressing well, with some fluid still to drain. 8 lymph nodes were removed and 5 were cancerous. The margins are clear and the tumor was Grade III.

Also had an appointment with the oncologist - the xray of my neck she ordered after my last visit as a follow-up to bone scan showed no abnormalities but some thinning of bones. She wants me to avoid hyperextension of the neck and to wear the hard collar for protection where there is a possibility of sudden movements, like in the car. (Bungee jumping and using pogo stick would be out too!) I'm also continuing to get a drug which helps strengthen bones, every 4 weeks through my pic line.

The physiotherapist paid me another visit. She thought I was making good progress with rcovering shoulder motion - I think flexibility from yoga helps. We reviewed one of my yoga books and she helped me figure out poses I should avoid in order to protect my neck.

I have an appointment with the radiation oncologist in 2 weeks: typically its 5 to 6 weeks of radiation treatments to the breast, to help kill off any stray cancer cells there.

My sister Joyce is coming for a visit later this week - we are hoping that she will finally experience some good weather in Saint John, which was absent her 2 previous visits.

Wendy

No comments: