Wednesday, February 3, 2010

New Treatment Underway

Weekly treatments with the new (to me) chemo Taxol got underway today. In four weeks I see my oncologist, Dr. B, to assess how it's going. The chemo nurse says if it's effective and depending on the side effects, it can sometimes be continued indefinitely, like the bone strengthener I receive intravenously every 4 weeks.

The nurse feels that the oncology docs here really keep up to date, going to conferences, involved in clinical trials, reading, etc. Says if this ever happened to her Dr. B is who she'd want, and she's not the first person I've heard express that. Her view is that Dr. B doesn't give up easily, as long as you're on board, which is my impression too.

Apparently one of the most common side effects of Taxol is achy bones, especially the large ones in the hips and thighs. There may be increased tiredness as treatment goes on, of course hair loss, but perhaps less effect on the digestive system than some of the previous treatment.
We'll see how it goes over the next few weeks.

Wendy

No comments: