Sunday, December 21, 2008

An Anniversay of Sorts

It's just about a year ago that Wendy and I trepidatiously got off the elevator on the ninth floor at St. Joseph's Hospital and were introduced to the world of cancer. We both knew what news was coming, but reality had yet to sink in (for me at least). The stunning speed with which appointments were made, tests were conducted and decision were arrived at, both impressed and depressed me. I was impressed because all the horror stories of waiting m0nths for care were brushed aside. And it depressed me because it emphasized the severity of Wendy's cancer.

So, we've made it this far. It's been a long year with many ups and downs. Another Christmas to celebrate. This year with many friends (nine for dinner on Thursday), lots of food, and a damned fine reason to celebrate. As much as having Cancer sets you apart, people have reached out in so many ways that it has given me pause to stop and think more than once.

We know Wendy's journey is not over and for that I am grateful. For every tear I've shed this past year there's been a smile, a belly laugh, a moment to cherish, a memory worth keeping.

Thanks to you all for your support this year.

Harvey

No comments: